Dear 5th Grade Parents,
On Wednesday, June 12th, your 5th-grade scholar will present their Social Justice Project (SJP) Capstone at 6:00 pm. The SJP Capstone is a research-based project highlighting a current social justice issue.
There are two components to the project:
1) A powerpoint presentation highlighting a topic, a thesis, an analysis of the situation, and a call to action.
2) An oral presentation: June 12th at 6:00 pm of the scholar’s findings. Scholars have made their selection on what topic they are going to do and cannot change their minds. They will be working on research and creating their projects in Ms. Perales’ and Ms. Lyons’ classes. Scholars will learn the necessary content in the coming weeks. The building of the project will be towards the latter part of May. This project is mandatory for all 5th-grade scholars. If your scholar is returning to Capital Prep, they must complete and present this project to participate in the Grays-to-Blues Continuation Ceremony.
Parents can support in many ways:
- Be attentive to the due date: June 12th.
- Be aware of the topic your scholar has chosen and the rubric.
- Make sure your scholar is pacing him/herself and is progressing on the project.
Thank you for your cooperation and attention to this.
Ms. Perales and Ms. Lyons
Principal of Capital Prep Harbor Lower School, grades K-6 in Bridgeport, Connecticut.